Admission Steps for
New Dual Credit Students

Dual Credit allows academically qualified students to receive both high school credit and college credit for completion of NIC courses. To qualify you must be at least 16 years of age and/or have completed one-half of your high school graduation requirements. A 3.0 GPA is recommended. Dual Credit students pay a reduced tuition rate which can be viewed on the tuition rate page.

1. Meet with High School Counselor

Student Eligibility: Your high school counselor can determine if you are eligible and help you develop a plan. If you are home schooled, please contact the Office of Advanced Opportunities - Dual Credit at (208) 625-2329 or (208) 769-3321. To qualify you must be at least 16 years of age and/or have completed one-half of your high school graduation requirements. A 3.0 GPA is recommended.

2. Complete an Application for Admission

"Applying" is the first step to being an NIC student. Registering at the high school for an NIC class being taught in the high school only puts you on the high school roster. You must apply to NIC too. You can apply online or submit an Application for Admission at the NIC Admissions Office.

3. Complete Dual Credit Authorization Form

Take the Dual Credit Authorization Form [PDF] to your parents and to your high school counselor. After they have signed your completed form; mail, FAX or email the form to the Admissions office. The address is NIC Admissions Office, 1000 W Garden Avenue, Lee Kildow Hall, Room 105, Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814. Admissions phone number is (208) 769-3311; Fax (208) 769-3399; email

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA): NIC is required by law, regardless of age, to keep student records confidential. Without your express permission, we cannot share your student records with anyone but you (or appropriate college employees, high school counselors, or dual credit instructors). Initial if you will allow NIC to disclose your student records to your parents or legal guardians while you are in the Dual Credit program.

4. Complete Certificate of Residency Form (Kootenai County Residents - Skip this Step)

If you live outside Kootenai County, you must complete the Certificate of Residency Form and mail or deliver the form to your county clerk for authorization. Once NIC receives this form, out-of-county tuition and/or fees can be removed. Students are still responsible to pay the out-of-county tuition in full by the published due dates, unless NIC has received the approved form from your county.

Congratulations! You are ready to move to the next step of "registering".

Note: After the NIC Application, the Dual Credit Authorization Form and test scores are provided to the NIC Admissions office, it may take up to 5 business days to completely process the application for acceptance as a dual credit student. Upon full "acceptance", you will then be able to register on-line for classes. Within a week of applying online, you will receive a letter in the mail. This letter will provide you with a student ID number and an outline of what needs to be done to complete your application to become fully "Accepted". The student ID is necessary to be able to set up a MyNIC account and to take the COMPASS placement test.

5. Set up your MyNIC and Cardinal Mail.

Click here [PDF] for directions for setting up your MyNIC account and your Cardinal Mail.

6. Take the COMPASS Test

The placement assessment (COMPASS) is an important part of enrollment because it measures each student's entry skills in reading, writing, and math. Assessment scores are used for placement in courses to ensure student success. ACT, SAT, or ASSET scores will substitute for COMPASS scores in fulfilling the placement requirement. Click here to see COMPASS Placement Interpretation Chart [PDF].

Make an appointment to take the COMPASS placement test at the NIC Testing Center after applying for admission to NIC. The NIC Outreach Centers in Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint, or Kellogg offer the COMPASS as well. You may find it helpful to take some practice tests online

7. Get to Know Our Campus

To get a clearer idea of college life and the campus culture, we encourage you to schedule an individual campus tour. Come experience what it's like to hear the cheers of a soccer game, walk along the shores of Lake Coeur d'Alene, eat at the Market, and meet some of our friendly faculty and staff.

North Idaho College recognizes that there is a natural source of concern for safety on campus and in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Act the college publishes an annual security and fire safety report that contains information regarding North Idaho College’s safety policies, crime and fire statistics, and campus resources. A paper copy of the report may be obtained by contacting the Campus Security at (208) 769-3310.

8. Select Classes (Register)

To view the NIC classes available for registration, log on to your MyNIC account, go to: Services > Student Menu > Registration > Search/Register for Sections. Choose the classes you need and register!

9. Apply for Scholarships

The earlier the better! Ask your high school counselor about available scholarships or look at the "Paying for Classes" section of the Dual Credit home page. The North Idaho College Foundation offers scholarships to dual credit students as well. The application [PDF] is online.

10. Pay Tuition

Dual Credit students pay a reduced tuition rate. Tuition and any special fees must be paid on or before the due date noted on the payment screen. Tuition bills will not be mailed to you or your parents, but will be available on your MyNIC. Payment can be made through MyNIC with a Visa, MasterCard, or debit card. MyNIC > Student Menu > Student Accounts > View Account and Make Payments.

11. Purchase Books

Books can be purchased at the Mica Peak Exchange in the Student Union Building or on-line at Check with your instructor before purchasing books. Some books may be provided through your high school if your class is at your high school.

Schedule a Visit

Virtual Tour

Admissions Checklist

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Admissions

Phone (208) 769-3311
Fax (208) 769-3399

Program Applications


Student Consumer Information

Credit by Exam

Ambassador Program

Translation funded by
NIC Foundation Logo