Career and Technical Program
This program is designed to train newly-hired law enforcement
agency officers, as well as to prepare students
who wish to be employed in law enforcement. Students
may elect to complete the basic technical certificate,
the intermediate technical certificate, or the associate of
applied science degree requirements. This program includes
the 16-week Peace Officer Standards and Training
(P.O.S.T.) approved Basic Patrol Academy. To successfully
complete the Basic Patrol Academy, students will
be required to pass all P.O.S.T. requirements for physical
fitness, marksmanship, and P.O.S.T. written and certification
This is a selective admissions program and applicants will
be required to undergo a complete background check,
including fingerprinting, a polygraph examination, a psychological
evaluation, and an oral interview. Applicants
must also pass P.O.S.T. required medical, vision, and
hearing exams, and will be required to pass the P.O.S.T.
Physical Readiness Test. Fees for these tests will be the
student’s responsibility. Upon acceptance into the Basic
Patrol Academy, students will be required to purchase
and wear Academy and P.T. uniforms while in class.
1. Applications for the program may be picked up from the
Law Enforcement Program Director at the academy in
Post Falls. Contact the director for more detailed information
and for admission deadlines.
2. Applicants must complete an Idaho P.O.S.T. application
1. Must be a citizen of the United States and attained the
20th birthday by the end of the academy.
2. High school diploma, GED, or have completed 15 academic
3. Two or more years of responsible work experience following
high school graduation.
4. Fingerprint clearance by the Idaho State Police and the
FBI. A conviction or withheld judgment for any local,
state, or federal crime may be grounds for rejection.
5. Valid driver’s license from the state of residence with no record
of habitual violations (five or more) during the three
years immediately preceding application to the Academy.
No record of suspension, DUI conviction, or withheld
judgment during the two years immediately preceding application
to the Academy.
6. Medical examinations completed by a licensed medical
physician and the medical forms filled out within the last
7. Meet or exceed the P.O.S.T. vision and hearing standards
as listed on the medical forms.
8. Pass the P.O.S.T. Physical Fitness Test taken no more than three
months prior to the Academy.
9. Successfully complete a psychological evaluation conducted by a
licensed psychiatrist or clinical psychologist.
10. Pass a Police Officer Selection written examination.
Certified Law Enforcement Professionals
Students who successfully complete the Basic Patrol Academy
will be given credit for LAWE 250-258.