The Pharmacy Technology program prepares graduates for positions working under the supervision of a licensed and registered pharmacist in retail and institutional pharmacy practice settings. Students completing the program will have a basic understanding of anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, pharmacy law, and the therapeutic classification and use of the top-200 prescription drugs. Students will develop skills in pharmaceutical preparation, maintaining patient profiles or records, sterile products preparation, performing stock procedures, communication and presentation, and computer use to enter, store, and recall patient information.
The Pharmacy Technology program is a selective admissions program, which is explained below. Approximately 12-16 students are admitted to the program each fall semester. Course requirements prior to the technical pharmacy courses are open to all students who meet specific course prerequisites. The technical certificate can be obtained in an 11-month course of study.
Contact the Health Professions Division at (208) 676-7132 for further information.
- High school diploma or GED
- Completion of NIC COMPASS test (or equivalent) with an algebra score of 41 or higher or the completion of MATH 025 with a grade of C or better and an English score of 68 or the completion of ENGL 099 with a grade of C or better.
- Transfer applicants must submit official transcripts of work-in-progress from current college. Final transcripts are required when available
- Completion of a criminal record background check and a drug test upon acceptance
- Comply with all state and federal regulatory issues listed at the following websites
- http://bop.idaho.gov/licensing/pharm_technicians.html (Idaho State Board of Pharmacy
- http://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermitsandCertificates/ProfessionsNewReneworUpdate/PharmacyAssistant.aspx (Washington State Board of Pharmacy-Assistant
- http://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermitsandCertificates/ProfessionsNewReneworUpdate/PharmacyTechnician.aspx (Washington State Board of Pharmacy-Technician
- Prerequisites: A minimum grade of “C”(2.00) must be achieved in prerequisite courses:
- ALTH 106 (Working in Health Care)
- CAOT 112 (Basic keyboarding)
- CAOT 113 (Keyboarding Skill Development)
- BIOL 175 (Human Biology) or BIOL 100 (Fundamentals of Biology
- MATH 102 (Computational Skills for Allied Health)
Note: The Pharmacy Technology Program now offers two options for completion; internet or on campus. For internet students, theory will be online with scheduled on-campus labs.
We offer diverse practicum experiences with sites in community pharmacies, hospital pharmacies, compounding pharmacies and chain drug store pharmacies.