What Do Employers Want?
They are looking for individuals who:
- Are teachable and know how to learn.
- Can read, write well and perform basic arithmetic.
- Can listen well and have strong oral communication skills.
- Can think creatively and critically and can solve problems.
- Have personal management skills including self-esteem, goal
setting and motivation, and personal and career development
- Can demonstrate responsibility, dedication and understand what
it means to be a good employee to be a good employee.
- Have group effectiveness skills including interpersonal skills,
negotiation skills and teamwork skills.
- Are comfortable with people from different cultures and
backgrounds, and perhaps speak a foreign language.
- Have organizational effectiveness and leadership skills.
- Can function on their own and take the initiative to get things
done and to be innovative, discovering new and better
ways to do things.
- These are basic ingredients of a good employee. How many
do you feel really competent in? Self-improvement in any of
these areas will give you an edge in a highly competitive job