The Children's Center is committed to providing a family-centered early childhood program that views every child as capable and competent. The Center will provide a nurturing and supportive environment that links home and school, that is rich with opportunities to develop social competence, and that encourages every child to pursue intellectual growth and creativity through their interests and experiences.
The Children's Center will be...a nurturing, supportive, respective environment where families are embraced and celebrated...a place where children and families feel safe, secure, and valued...a place where staff feels valued, respected, and encouraged to flourish as individuals, professionals, and as a team...a high quality lab school that serves as a model for the individual, the college campus, and the community.
Statement of Philosophy
The staff of the NIC Children's Center believes that the early childhood years are critical for children in:
- Developing a strong and positive sense of self.
- Becoming eager and self-directed learners.
- Acquiring essential social skills and developing respect for others.
- Gathering skills necessary for success in formal schooling.
To assist children in meeting these critical needs, the Children's Center staff strives to:
- Build strong partnerships with parents.
- Provide problem solving opportunities for children.
- Create an environment rich in choice and decision making.
- Provide an environment with both the freedom to explore and appropriate limits in which to feel secure.
- Arrange the environment so children have ample opportunities to interact with each other and practice developing social skills.