Students are required, each and every school year, to complete the Financial Aid Process (steps 1-7 shown below).
Step 1. Apply for a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov
- You will need your PIN to sign your FAFSA electronically.
Step 2. Student completes FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- NIC School Code: 001623
- Need Help completing the FAFSA? Call 1-800-433-3243
- NIC will receive completed FAFSA's approximately 1 week after completion.
- Check out this video if you need help filling out your FAFSA.
- Student is sent an e-mail alert to Cardinal Mail. (Make sure to activate your Cardinal Mail account through your MyNIC account.) Additional information requests can be seen on MyNIC account in the 'My Documents' section of the services tab.
- Processing will not continue until all required documents are received.
Step 4. Program Admission
- Student must be admitted into program by NIC Admission to be eligible for Financial Aid.
Step 5. Review
- After all documents are submitted and worksheets completed and returned, NIC is ready to review a student's application.
- Review process may take 2 to 4 weeks.
Step 6. Initial Awarding Process
- The initial awarding process takes approximately 2 to 4 weeks.
- Students are awarded maximum amounts for grants and loans.
- Once awarded students receive an e-mail to their Cardinal Mail notifying them of the award.
- Awards will be accepted electronically through MyNIC account in the 'Accept or Reject' section of the Services tab.
Step 7. Student Work Study Awarding Process
- Students must submit a work study application to be placed on the wait list.
- Once funds are available, student will be awarded Work Study funds (NOTE: accepting loans may affect your Work Study eligibility. Please check the 'Loans Affecting Work Study' under the FAQ section)
- Students will have two weeks to accept their award by completing various processes.
Step 8. Awards Disbursed
- Financial aid award funds are always applied to tuition and fees due, remaining credit balances are issued based on how the student specified when activating their HigherOne Card.
- Students may check availability of funds and also can view the amount of disbursements by using the MyNIC account under 'Statement of Account' in the services tab.
Note: Students in need of materials in alternative formats should contact the Center for Educational Access for assistance.