Scholarships for American Indians
APICDA Higher Education Scholarship
Aleutian Pribilof Island Community Development Association
Attn: Human Resources Director
509 West Third Avenue, Suite 101
Anchorage, AK 99501
(908) 929-5273 Toll-free: (800) 927-4232 Fax: (907) 929-5275
To provide financial assistance to Alaska residents who have ties to member communities of the Aleutian Pribilof Island Community Development Association (APICDA) and are planning to attend college or graduate school in any state.
This program is open to residents of Alaska who have an affiliation with APICDA either through an historical relationship.
Natives and non-Natives who have an historical relationship with 1 or more of the following communities:
- False Pass
- Nelson Lagoon
- St. George
- Or a residency relationship (full-time residents of those communities for at least the past 5 years)
Applicants must intend to return to (or work for the benefit of) the APIDCA region upon completion of school. They must be working on or planning to work on an associate, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree.
Along with their application, they must submit:
- a personal statement that includes their educational and professional development goals
- why they wish to attend school
- what they plan to do after receiving their degree
- and the contributions they believe they will be able to make to the communities of the APCIDA region or to Alaska in general after achieving their goals.
The stipend is $2,500 per semester. Funds may be used for registration, tuition, books, room, board, and other reasonable educational expenses.
1 year; may be renewed as long as the recipient maintains full-time enrollment and a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Varies each year; recently 87 of these scholarships were awarded
- June of each year for full-year scholarships
- November of each year for winter or spring terms