Scholarships for American Indians
Aqqaluk Trust Scholarships
Robert Aqqaluk Newlin, Sr. Memorial Trust
Attn: Education Director
P.O. Box 50
Kotzebue, AK 99752
(907) 442-1607 Toll-free: (866)442-1607 Fax: (907) 442-2289
To provide financial assistance for college to Alaska Natives who are associated with the Northwest Alaska Native Association (NANA) Regional Corporatation.
This program is open to:
- NANA shareholders
- descendants of NANA shareholders
- and dependents of NANA shareholders and their descendants.
Applicants must have a GED or high school diploma with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at an accredited or authorized college, university, or vocational technical skills program for which a certificate of completion is issued at the conclusion of studies.
Along with their application, they must submit:
- a statement that explains how they intend to use their education to enhance Inupiaq values and culture
- summarizes their accomplishments
- and describes their educational and career goals.
- $2,000 per semester for full-time students
- $1,000 per semester for part-time students.
Funds must be used for tuition, fees, books, course-related supplies, room, board, and similar expenses.
1 semester; recipients may reapply by providing a letter updating their educational and career goals, explaining how they are moving toward their goals, and reporting how the previous funds were spend.
The NANA Regional Corporation previously administered its scholarship program, but it recently transferred its education department to the Robert Aqqaluk Newlin, Sr. Memorial Trust. Sponsors of the program include the NANA Regional Corporation, Teck Cominco Limited, and Qivliq, LLC.
Varies each year, depending upon the availability of funds and qualified applicants.
College and university students must apply by:
- July of each year for fall semester or quarter
- October of each year for winter quarter
- January of each year for spring semester
- February of each year for spring quarter
- May of each year for summer school.
Vocational/technical students must apply before the start of training.