Scholarships for American Indians
Bering Straits Foundation Higher Education and Vocational Training Scholarship
Bering Straits Nave Corporation
Attn: Bering Straits Foundation
110 Front Street, Suite 300
P.O. Box 1008
Nome, AK 99762-1008
(907) 443-4305 Toll-free: (800) 478-5079 (within AK) Fax: (907) 443-2985
To provide supplemental financial assistance to Alaska Natives with ties to the Bering Straits area who are entering or enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in any state.
This program is open to Native Alaskans enrolled to the Bering Straits Native Corporation and lineal descendants (natural or adopted children) of persons enrolled to the Bering Straits Native Corporation. Applicants for higher education scholarships must be graduating or have graduated from high school with a GPA of 3.0 or higher (or have earned a GED); applicants for vocational training scholarship must be high school seniors with a GPA of 2.5 or higher. All applicants must be accepted or currently enrolled (as an undergraduate or graduate student) at any accredited college, university, or vocational school in any state as a full-time student and be able to demonstrate financial need. Along with their application, they must submit a personal statement outlining their educational goals and objectives.
- stipends range from $500 to $1,000 per semester for students who have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- up to $400 per semester for students who have a GPA less than 3.0
- or up to $500 per semester for vocational students
Funds are paid directly to the recipient's school.
1 semester; may be renewed if the recipient maintains a GPA of 2.0 or higher during the first semester and 2.5 or higher in the succeeding semesters.
Varies each year
- June of each year for the fall semester
- December of each year for the spring semester.