Scholarships for American Indians
EPA Greater Research Opportunities (GRO) Fellowships For Undergraduate Environmental Study
Environmental Protection Agency
Attn: National Center for Environmental Research
Ariel Rios Building
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20460
(202) 343-9741 Toll-free: (800) 490-9194
To provide financial assistance and summer internships to minority and other undergraduates who are enrolled at colleges and universities that receive limited federal funding and who are interested in majoring in fields related to the environment.
This program is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are enrolled full time at a college or university in this country that receives less than $35 million in federal research and development expenditures.
That includes, but is not limited to:
- Minority Serving Institutions, as defined as Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs)
- Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs)
- Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCUs)
- Native Hawaiian Serving Institutions (NHSIs)
- Alaskan native Serving Institutions (ANSIs)
Applicants must have at least 2 years remaining for completion of a bachelor's degree and must be majoring in environmental science, physical sciences, natural and life sciences, mathematics and computer science, social sciences, economics, or engineering. They must be available to work as interns at an EPA facility during the summer between their junior and senior years. A goal of the program is to meet the need for scientists from diverse cultural backgrounds, so the sponsor strongly encourages women, minorities, and persons with disabilities to apply. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required.
The fellowship provides
- up to $17,000 per year
- including up to $10,000 for tuition and academic fees
- a stipend of $4,500 ($500 per month for 9 months)
- an expense allowance of up to $2,500 for items and activities for direct benefit of the student's education, such as books, supplies, and travel to professional conferences and workshops
The summer internship grant is $7,500
- Including a stipend of $6,000
- an allowance of $1,000 for travel to and from the site
- an allowance of $500 for travel while at the site
The final 2 years of baccalaureate study, including 12 weeks during the summer between those years
This program began in 1982. It was formerly known as Culturally Diverse Academic Institutions Undergraduate Student Fellowships program and subsequently as Minority Academic Institutions Undergraduate Student Fellowships.
Approximately 15 each year
November of each year