Scholarships for American Indians
Choctaw Nation Higher Education Scholarship
Attn: Higher Education Department
16th and Locust
P.O. Drawer 1210
Durant, OK 74702-1210
(580) 924-8280 Toll-free: (800) 522-6170, ext. 2224 (within OK) Fax: (580) 924-1267
To Provide financial assistance to Choctaw Indians who are interested in working on an undergraduate degree.
This program is open to students who are attending or planning to attend an accredited college or university and have a Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) and tribal membership card showing Choctaw descent. Students in vocational and technical schools or correspondence courses are not eligible. Applicants must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher. Financial need is not considered in the selection process.
The stipend depends on the GPA:
- $600 per semester for full-time students with a GPA of 2.50 to 2.99
- $800 per semester for full-time students with a GPA of 3.00 to 3.49
- $1,000 per semester for full-time students with a GPA of 3.50 to 4.00
- Part-time students receive $500 per semester regardless of GPA
1 year; may be renewed for up to 4 additional years as long as the recipient enrolls in at least 12 hours per semester (or at least 6 hours for part-time students) with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
The Choctaw nation established this program in 1998
Varies each year
- September of each year for fall semester
- March of each year for spring semester