Scholarships for American Indians


Tribes and Nations  - Misc. and Other Minorities


 H0-Chunk Nation Higher Education Scholarship

Ho-Chunk Nation
Attn: Higher Education Division
P.O. Box 667
Black River Falls, WI 54615
(715) 284-4915                                   Toll-free: (800) 362-4476                  Fax: (715) 284-1760



To provide financial assistance to undergraduate or graduate students who are enrolled members of the Ho-Chunk Nation.


Applicants must be enrolled members of the Ho-Chunk Nation who have been accepted at an accredited college, university, or vocational college in the United States as an undergraduate or graduate student. Applicants must intend to attend a nonprofit institution that is accredited by a regional agency and by the U.S. Department of Education as eligible to receive student financial aid funds. If they are determined by their school's financial aid office to have no financial need, they are eligible to receive non-need, they are eligible for need-based grants. Funds are awarded with the expectation that graduates will return to the Ho-Chunk Nation to use their knowledge and expertise to protect and strengthen the economic self-sufficiency and sovereignty of the nation.

Financial data

Non-need grants cover direct costs of tuition, required fees, and books, up to the mazimum award.

Need-based grants are capped at

  • $7,000 per academic year for full-time undergraduate
  • or $12,000 per academic year for full-time graduate students
Awards for part-time students per academic year are for direct costs (tuition, required fees, and books) not covered by another source, to a maximum of $4,500 for undergraduates or $9,000 for graduate students. Funds are paid directly to the recipient's school.



1 year

Support is limited to

  • 10 semesters for undergraduates
  • 6 semesters for master's degree students
  • or 10 semesters for doctoral students.
Undergraduates must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher and graduate students 3.0 or higher in order to continue receiving funds.


Number awarded

Varies each year.


April of each year or 4 months before the start of the term.