Request accessible format

The accessibility of is extremely important to us! If you encounter any barriers and need assistance, please contact

Verification and Compliance

Identity Verification

North Idaho College complies with the United States Federal Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) concerning the verification of student identity in distance education.

All credit-bearing courses and programs offered through distance education methods must verify that the student who registers for a distance education course or program is the same student who participates in and completes the course or program and receives academic credit.  According to the HEOA, one or more of the following methods must be used:

  1. An individual secure login and password
  2. Proctored examinations, and/or
  3. Other technologies or practices that are effective in verifying student identification. 

All methods for verifying student identity in distance learning must protect the privacy of student information. If any fees associated with the verification of student identity will be charged to students, they will be indicated on the Tuition and Fees website.


Secure Login and Password: Every NIC student is assigned a unique student ID, username, and password to access NIC's learning management system. Students are responsible for providing accurate and true identity information in the application process and adhering to the policies and procedures as listed in the Academic Integrity Policy #5.06.01.

Proctored Examinations:
 Exams use Respondus Lockdown Browser at NIC approved Testing Centers and require picture ID for testing.

The following information can be found in North Idaho College's current academic year's catalog

Academic Appeals/Instructional Petitions

Students should follow the guidelines below to address late withdrawal appeals and reinstatement to enroll following suspension and disqualification.

Note: There are specific program appeal processes and procedures in fields such as Health Professions and Nursing. If you are enrolled in one of these programs, please check with your advisor or division chair regarding the details.

Admissions and Academic Standards

Petition the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee for consideration of late withdrawal appeals from all courses within a term or reinstatement to enroll following suspension and disqualification. For late withdrawal requests from a single course, refer to the Withdrawing from Individual Courses section. Petitions for late withdrawal appeals must be submitted within two years from the semester in which the late withdrawal is being requested. Students who wish to appeal should complete an Admissions and Academic Standards Appeal form. Furthermore, students may appeal decisions rendered by the Academic Standards and Appeals Committee by preparing a written Statement of Appeal and any supporting documentation. Submit the documents to the Office of the Dean for Enrollment Services within seven business days of receiving the committee's decision.

The Statement of Appeal must contain the following information:

  • Student’s name, local address, and telephone number.
  • Statement of concerns regarding the original decision.
  • Arguments supporting the student’s position.
  • Proposed resolution.
  • All relevant supporting documentation.

The Dean of Enrollment Services will review the submission, conduct any inquiries, and respond with a written decision to the student within 15 working days. This decision is final.

Instructional Petitions

The information below guides students on addressing academic integrity petitions, concerns about an instructor, grade changes, and course substitutions.

Students should follow the procedure outlined in 5.06.01 Academic Integrity to appeal decisions regarding academic integrity sanctions. Students should follow the procedure outlined in 5.16 Student Complaints and Concerns to address concerns about an instructor or other instructional concerns. To petition for a grade change students should follow procedure 5.04 Grading. Each of these procedures has specific steps and deadlines.

Students should contact the respective Division Chair to discuss course substitutions. Contact information for Division Chairs can be located in the Department Directory.

Complaint Process for Idaho Approved Sara Institutions

Student grievances must exhaust institution’s dispute resolution process. All complaints regarding student grades or conduct violations are governed by the institution and the laws of the institution’s home state.

If an NC-SARA student is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process, or if the issue is not resolved at the institutional level, the student may appeal to the Office of the State Board of Education. Appeals must be submitted no later than thirty (30) calendar days after the student receives the institution’s final decision on matter.

For more information, visit the Idaho State Board of Education Complaint Procedures.

Incomplete Grades  

Incomplete grades are issued to students needing additional time to complete their coursework. Incomplete grades are not issued if the student is simply unable to complete their work within the specified semester or session. Students must request an incomplete grade from their instructor.

Incomplete grades are issued only in cases of extenuating circumstances, such as severe illness or injury.

Student must be in attendance and have done satisfactory work within three weeks of the end of the semester or a proportional length of time for a course less than a semester in length.

If an incomplete grade (I) is recorded, the instructor will indicate in writing to the Registrar’s Office what the student must do to make up the deficiency. The instructor will also indicate the final grade that will be earned if the incomplete is not removed by the deadline.

All incomplete grades must be changed within six weeks after the first day of the following term, excluding the summer session. If the incomplete grade is not changed by that date, the final grade earned will be the one indicated in the instructor’s written statement authorizing the incomplete grade. Incomplete grades may affect financial aid eligibility and may prevent the awarding of certificates or degrees.

Repeating a Course    

Students may repeat any course provided they have not completed a more advanced course for which the first course is a prerequisite. While all grades earned remain on the official transcript, only the grade earned at North Idaho College for the most recent course attempt is calculated into the grade point average. Transfer courses may be considered your most recent grade for program requirements but will not be used in grade point calculations. Students should choose to audit if repeating a course as a refresher.

Note: Repeating a course may affect financial aid funding and may not be permitted if the course has already been used to earn a degree.

Academic Renewal

With the principle of encouraging and rewarding determination, self-discipline, and achievement, North Idaho College will allow a student to petition for academic renewal under the following conditions:

  • Renewal may only be petitioned once, for one or two consecutively enrolled semesters, with one year or less between the two semesters.
  • At the time the petition is filed, a minimum of one year must have elapsed since the most recent course work to be disregarded was completed.
  • Before the petition may be filed, the student must complete at least 12 semester hours of course work at North Idaho College with a minimum 2.50 grade point average (GPA) after the disregarded semester(s).
  • Renewal will not be granted for individual courses within a term.
  • Students holding an associate’s or bachelor’s degree are not eligible for academic renewal.

Requirements for consideration:

  • A completed petition for academic renewal form must be filed with Cardinal Central.
  • No more than two consecutive terms (with one year or less between the two semesters) of substandard work, below 2.00, may be disregarded from the computation of credits, grade points, academic standing and eligibility for graduation.
  • Work from other accredited colleges will not be considered for calculating the GPA.
  • When coursework is disregarded, the student's academic record will be annotated; all coursework remains on record, ensuring a true and complete academic history.

Academic renewal actions are irreversible and does not guarantee that other intuitions will approve such action.  The determination will be made by the respective transfer institution.

Since this is a policy of exception, no exceptions will be made to the stated conditions above. The Registrar, Dean of Enrollment Services or their designee is the designated authority for approval of academic renewal. Academic renewal by North Idaho College does not guarantee that other institutions will approve such action. The determination will be made by the respective transfer institutions.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (1974) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

We cannot discuss student information with a parent/spouse/child/guardian/etc. without the student's consent. A student can sign and submit a Consent for Release of Student Information form to identify an individual. This release form is only for information release; and the authorized individual cannot make changes to the student's record. 

Additional information on FERPA can be found on NIC’s FERPA website.

Student Handbook

The most up-to-date information on student policies and information can be found in NIC's official Student Handbook.