TRIO Student Support Services welcomes you into a community that provides a sense of place at North Idaho College. Our services support you in enhancing your college experience and reaching your academic goals. We are excited to welcome you to TRIO; your success is our mission!
- More Personalized Attention: TRIO feels like a family because we limit the number of students we serve. Your advisor gets to know you personally and can guide you toward the successful completion of your certificate or degree at NIC.
- Scholarship and Grant Opportunities: Each year, TRIO awards $20,000 to students who qualify for grants. Additionally, participants are referred to apply for scholarships, grants and job opportunities many students are unaware of.
- Individualized Academic Supports: TRIO provides one-on-one peer tutoring and mentoring, an academic coach who can help with every aspect of being a successful student, and campus referrals when questions or difficulties arise.
These stats don’t lie: TRIO participation makes a difference!
|For low-income college students in 2020:||Percent who persisted into 2nd year of college||Percent who graduated with a certificate or associate degree within four years|
|NIC TRIO participants||86%||56%|
- Academic advising
- Eligibility for TRIO scholarships
- Computer lab with free printing
- Career exploration assistance
- On-campus and virtual tutoring
- Peer mentoring
- Student Success Coach
- Club events and workshops
- Help with the transfer process
- Financial aid assistance
- Referrals to scholarships
- Other resources and supports
What do TRIO participants say about the program?
- “TRIO helped me to push through and not give up when school felt challenging.” Abby, Outdoor Recreation Leadership, 2021
- “From the beginning, TRIO has helped me get enrolled and has provided tutors for many classes. They have helped me all the way up until graduation!” Nick, Business, 2020
- “TRIO has helped me thrive at NIC. They made me aware of opportunities I otherwise wouldn’t have known about!” Shelby, Psychology, 2022
- "Before TRIO, I felt like I was guessing at what I was supposed to do. Without their encouragement and resourcefulness, I probably would have given up on college." Jessica, Social Work, 2022